I’m a five year old kindergartener now. On my fifth birthday, we landed in Guangzhou, China. After waiting almost two years (which is a long time for a five year old), my family was FINALLY on our trip to receive my baby sister! Actually, that was on my birthday in China. The next day, when it was my birthday in San Jose, I actually got to hold my sister for the first time! Baby Jessica was the best birthday present ever! (I can hardly wait to see what I’m getting for Christmas.)
I love my new sister and always do a good job of sharing my Power Rangers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toys with her. And every chance I get, I run to her and cover her with kisses. She doesn’t really like it very much. But the way she is always smiling so adorably, I guess this would be as good of a time as any for her to practice pushing boys away.
Jessica just turned one. She has eight teeth now and is starting to cruise. She has slept eight hours straight every single night since the day we brought her home. … At least, she has never woken ME up. Mom, however, says she has a different perspective. But, I still think Mom’s pretty lucky to get to spend all day AND all night playing with Jessica.
Even though we have a new baby in the family, I still get plenty of attention around here. In fact, this year I have three trips to the emergency room and a visit from the nice 911 paramedics to prove it. Needless to say, Mom and Dad won’t leave me alone by myself for very long anymore.
Mom is still a Software Trainer for ADP (the payroll company). She’s finishing up her tenth year there. … Although, come to think of it, she hasn’t actually trained anyone there recently. She’s been on leave and staying home to take care of my sister. She has enjoyed the six months off, but I’m pretty sure she’s looking forward to going back to work. I think this week she’s planning on teaching my Sunday school class about what goes into box 12 of a W2.
Dad continues to work in the Technical Support department at Agitar Software. It’s still pre-IPO and the people there continue to be optimistic about future prospects. Business must be going pretty well. At least, they are still holding company picnics and holiday parties that I get to go to.
I enjoyed playing T-Ball and soccer this year. Dad helped coach both my teams. Being the coach’s kid sure is tough. There are a lot of additional pressures and responsibilities. Like, this year, I got invited to 23 birthday parties. That’s rough for an introvert like me.
Speaking of parties, we just had one for my sister. It was her first birthday. At that fun celebration, it was difficult to imagine how just one year before, Baby Jessica had a really bad day. She was born prematurely. And within hours, she found herself put into a cardboard box and left by the side of the road! Can you imagine that?
My parents tell me that it’s ironic how we have ended up so incredibly blessed by what started off so sadly with a delicate newborn in a place where no baby ever belongs. But I just figure that if you count baby Jesus in that Christmas manger, then that’s twice now.
“He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all – how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” Romans 8:32.
Merry Christmas, everyone!!!


2 comments:
Merry Christmas Dan, Donna, Jonathan & Jessica!! May God continue to bless & keep you this coming new year!
Erika, Jeff & Abby
Dan & Donna,
Great Christmas letter! We spent the holiday season with family. Suzanne is such a good big sister to Lily. I look forward to seeing you at the next gathering.
God is good, isn't he?
Russ & Jana Allen
Post a Comment